Monday, January 18, 2010

Congratulations Rebecca Stead!

This morning it was announced at the ALA conference in Boston, that WHEN YOU REACH ME, authored by Rebecca Stead has won the 2010 Newbery Medal! No surprise really . . . a pretty popular (and worthy) choice!

WHEN YOU REACH ME is an incredible novel. It's about family and friends and prejudices and time travel. I read it in nearly one sitting back in July and a second time last month with my fifth graders. It only got better with a second reading!

Pulling out Honors were CLAUDETTE COLVIN by Phillip Hoose, THE EVOLUTION OF CALPURNIA TATE by Jacqueline Kelly, WHERE THE MOUNTAIN MEETS THE MOON by Grace Lin, and THE MOSTLY TRUE ADVENTURES OF HOMER P. FIGG by Rodman Philbrick.

I've read CLAUDETTE COLVIN and found it to be a fascinating story and I have purchased HOMER P. FIGG and CALPURNIA TATE so they're near the top of my "to read" pile. Heard good things about WHERE THE MOUNTAIN MEETS THE MOON, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet.

Congratulations to all the winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment