Saturday, January 16, 2010

Can I Actually Do This?

So I've been obsessed recently with the Newbery Medal. It's the award given to the "most distinguished contribution to children's literature" each year. A group of librarians get together every year and hash it out over all the children's books published that year. Sometimes the winners are great, but sometimes the winners make you scratch your head.

While following the blog Heavy Medal over at School Library Journal, I came across a kidlit blogger who recently finished her reading of every Newbery Medal winner, ever! I suddenly became inspired . . . I wanted to do that too!

The problem is, I have a very short attention span, so I have no idea if this idea or "project" is going to work. I also make it a point to stay on top of good, quality, current children's literature, so I don't want this idea to put a halt to that. But I do think it'd be fun and give me some perspective on the Newbery Medal and hopefully this blog will force me to stay on top of it.

I'm going to continue reading newer books (a few of which I'm still currently reading), and will post my thoughts on those in between my reactions to the Medal winners. I'm going to start from the beginning and go in order and I have no clue when I'm going to finish. Maybe this year yet, maybe five years from now, maybe never!

Soon, I'll begin by posting my thoughts on a few current books I'm reading now, just to get started, then I'll begin reading THE STORY OF MANKIND by Hendrik Willem Van Loon, the first ever Newbery Medal winner from 1922.

Stay tuned . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment